Today a few of my blogger friends and I are bringing you some trash to treasure Fall DIY projects. I LOVE fall and I definitely love a good upcycle! Usually I like to rescue a thrift store piece of furniture but this time I went with a fabric project. The fabric started out as a boys plaid shirt and I paid a whopping $1 to turn it into 3 budget friendly Fall DIY Projects. This post contains affiliate links, see my full disclosure here.
So for these projects I picked up this plaid shirt for, no joke, $1 at my favorite go-to thrift store. I love the orange and blue in this plaid. Once I washed it and laid it out, I broke down how I would use it to make the most of the fabric.
I started with the pumpkin. What you’ll need:
I had a pumpkin that I had picked up at the Dollar Store last year and planned to wrap it in the fabric. I cut the arm off of the shirt and then down the seam to open it up.
I removed the plastic stem and placed the pumpkin on the fabric and cut the piece in a circle around the pumpkin so it just came up to the top. I cut out a triangle shape on one side so that when you wrap the pumpkin it doesn’t bunch up too much.
I laid it out and sprayed the pumpkin with spray adhesive. I started by pulling the fabric up to the pumpkin with the shortest piece in the “V” first and then little by little folding a bit here and there. I tried to get the fabric in the groves as much as possible.
The spray adhesive works great but where it didn’t stick at the top and in between the layers of fabric, I touched it up with the trusty glue gun. Then I took a large pair of scissors and opened up the whole where the plastic stem had been to make room for the twig. I finished it off with some twine.
The next project was the book cover. What you’ll need:
- Glue Gun
I started by cutting out the back of the shirt and leaving about an inch all the way around the book. I placed the book on top of the fabric open so that the fabric covered all sides. I cut notches where the binding is but left about 1/4 of an inch to tuck into the cover. The I started by using the hot glue gun on the sides. I trimmed up the sides where there was extra fabric so that it wouldn’t bunch.
It doesn’t really matter what the inside looks like because you’ll never see it. It is important, though, not to pull the fabric too tight or the pattern will be off on the edge of the book and the book will not sit flat.
The third Fall DIY project, the FALL pennant, took a bit longer. What you’ll need:
I started by using the card stock to cut a pattern for the pennant pieces. I used the marker to trace around the pattern on the fabric making sure to place it in a way to make the most use of the space.
I cut out the pieces and broke out the stencils. I used regular craft paint for the letters.
Once the pieces were dry, I lined them up on a long piece of twine and attached them at the top using the glue gun. I made sure to separate them evenly about an inch or so. I left enough twine at both ends to tie it in place.
So three projects made with one shirt that cost $1.
Thanks so much for stopping by today!